Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Chwammy XXVI

Went to the Chequamegon 40 for my first time. I only had one goal in mind for this race: finish in a 2:30's time frame. Not really training for it and not knowing what to expect, I was a bit reluctant to start. I had staged my bike at 05:30 with a good spot. The start was definitely not what I expected; I was expecting a more modest pace through town, but next thing you know, we're flying down the road over 30mph. Next year, I won't be so naive. I ended up having to play a lot of catchup to get into a good group. Heading into Rosie's field, I was knocked over domino-style when a rider steered into me. Picking up and continuing, I settled into a pace that would suit me for the duration. In the last 6 miles, I started cranking up the pace since I felt pretty strong. Coming into the finish line was Jack Baker of MNSCS, another rider and myself in a 3-way sprint. It was a classic finish with a final time of 2:36. ;) After washing down the bike, we headed back to the motel for some family time. it was definitely worth the trip!

No comments: