Sunday, September 21, 2008

St Cloud; MNSCS X

the final event of the season couldn't have come soon enough. With a long season of training and heavy racing, it was a welcome relief for this one to be over. :) Coming to pre-ride on Wednesday, I had to take this race more seriously than last year. Last year, I had a position locked up for the season, so I just raced for fun; regretting it the whole off-season for not pushing harder. This year had to be different, with a close scoring in the top six, it was going to be tough.

It started off with Sportel, Luke Baker, Jamison, Martens, a few others and myself all on the long leadout into the first lap. I settled in behind Jamison and it was a tough, tight run through the new challenging spur. I was able to hold off Baker and Martens for the first two laps until I ended up running my bike into a few trees. I was very lucky on this one because the two trees were separated enough to allow my front wheel to go between them, the trees flexible enough to bend when I hit them with my bars. Upon hitting, I was sent OTB into the treees, smashing my collarbone and tangling me into the trees. Martens and Baker were quick to pass after this one. Thankfully i was able to get back on and keep going. After another great handoff from my wife, I had a lot of catchup to do now. I was able to pass Baker in the new "expert spur", only to be halted when my chain shifted into the spokes; grand! This is the spot I sat for the rest of the race. I turned up the pace afterwards to close a gap on Sportel, but he ended up besting me at the finish to give me a 6th overall; 4th age. A good solid finish to a long season. Time for some much needed R&R now.

No comments: